Buy Hidden Valley Ski Passes Online!
- Ice fishing is allowed at Elkwater Lake (pike and perch), Reesor Lake (rainbow trout) and Spruce Coulee Reservoir (brook trout).
- Check the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations for details on regulations and restrictions.
- For your safety
- It is extremely important to check ice conditions before walking on the ice.
- According to the Canadian Red Cross, ice should be at least 20 centimetres thick for group activities.
- Use caution on ice! Hazardous and thin sections can exist at any time during winter.
- Go prepared for weather changes, wild animals, equipment breakdowns and accidents.
- Review winter safety tips.
- For information on road accessibility to Reesor Lake and Spruce Coulee Reservoir, check Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park News or phone the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833.
- Kicksledding is an alternative to cross-country skiing that offers more stability.
- Kicksleds work on compacted snow or ice.
- You can use one alone or with a child sitting up front or standing on the runners.
- Rent a kicksled from the Visitor Centre.
- Hold onto the kicksled handles while standing behind a chair that sits on two runners.
- Place one foot on a runner and push off with the other foot to power the sled.
- Keeping your weight on your supporting foot on the runner, use long kicks and let the sled slide.
- Steer the kicksled by putting your weight on one side and turning the handlebars.
- Change the supporting leg often, every five kicks or so.
- The Old Baldy Campground loop is turned into a 1.5 km long skating track. Parking is available at the entrance to the campground.
- Elkwater has an outdoor skating rink located on 7th Avenue.
- There is a toboggan hill south of Hidden Valley Ski Resort on Highway 41. A picnic shelter and stove are located closeby.
- Check out our "backyard luge" in front of the Learning Centre (located across from the marina). Bring your own sled or borrow one of our disc toboggans. Helmets are recommended.
- Fat biking is permitted on all groomed and track-set trails EXCEPT Spring Creek Ski Trail System.
- Bikes with regular mountain bike tires are not permitted. Tires must be 3.7 inches or wider. Tire pressure should be 10 psi or lower.
- Skiers have priority on trails. Give skiers lots of space to pass, both on hills and flats.
- Snowmobiles are NOT ALLOWED in the park.
- Please avoid trails that are track-set for cross-country skiing - Spring Creek Cross-Country Ski Trail System and Spruce Coulee Trail.
- There are other trails suitable for snowshoeing. (Use "snowshoe" as the Search term.)
- Snowshoe rentals are available at the Visitor Centre or Hidden Valley Ski Resort.
- The Learning Centre, located across from the marina, is open as a warm-up building on weekends in winter.
- With washrooms and a half kitchen, this is a great place to get warm or enjoy lunch.
- Winter camping is available at Elkwater and Spruce Coulee campgrounds, and in the backcountry area at Reesor Dock.
- Please check road conditions prior to your arrival - go to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park News or phone the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833. Spruce coulee and Reesor Dock campgrounds may be inaccessible due to road closures.