Buy Hidden Valley Ski Passes Online!
- Ice fishing is allowed at Elkwater Lake (pike and perch), Reesor Lake (rainbow trout) and Spruce Coulee Reservoir (brook trout).
- Check the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations for details on regulations and restrictions.
- For your safety
- It is extremely important to check ice conditions before walking on the ice.
- According to the Canadian Red Cross, ice should be at least 20 centimetres thick for group activities.
- Use caution on ice! Hazardous and thin sections can exist at any time during winter.
- Go prepared for weather changes, wild animals, equipment breakdowns and accidents.
- Review winter safety tips.
- For information on road accessibility to Reesor Lake and Spruce Coulee Reservoir, check Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park News or phone the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833.
- Kicksledding is an alternative to cross-country skiing that offers more stability.
- Kicksleds work on compacted snow or ice.
- You can use one alone or with a child sitting up front or standing on the runners.
- Rent a kicksled from the Visitor Centre.
- Hold onto the kicksled handles while standing behind a chair that sits on two runners.
- Place one foot on a runner and push off with the other foot to power the sled.
- Keeping your weight on your supporting foot on the runner, use long kicks and let the sled slide.
- Steer the kicksled by putting your weight on one side and turning the handlebars.
- Change the supporting leg often, every five kicks or so.
- The Old Baldy Campground loop is turned into a 1.5 km long skating track. Parking is available at the entrance to the campground. Elkwater campground also has a skating loop. Weather dependent, please call the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833 for further information.
- Elkwater has an outdoor skating rink located on 7th Avenue.
- There is a toboggan hill south of Hidden Valley Ski Resort on Highway 41. A picnic shelter and stove are located closeby.
- Check out our "backyard luge" in front of the Learning Centre (located across from the marina). Bring your own sled or borrow one of our disc toboggans. Helmets are recommended. Weather dependent, please call the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833 for further information.
- Fat biking is permitted on all groomed and track-set trails EXCEPT Spring Creek Ski Trail System.
- Bikes with regular mountain bike tires are not permitted. Tires must be 3.7 inches or wider. Tire pressure should be 10 psi or lower.
- Skiers have priority on trails. Give skiers lots of space to pass, both on hills and flats.
- Snowmobiles are NOT ALLOWED in the park.
- Please avoid trails that are track-set for cross-country skiing - Spring Creek Cross-Country Ski Trail System and Spruce Coulee Trail.
- There are other trails suitable for snowshoeing. (Use "snowshoe" as the Search term.)
- Snowshoe rentals are available at the Visitor Centre or Hidden Valley Ski Resort.
- The Learning Centre, located across from the marina, is open as a warm-up building on weekends in winter.
- With washrooms and a half kitchen, this is a great place to get warm or enjoy lunch.
- Winter camping is available at Elkwater and Spruce Coulee campgrounds, and in the backcountry area at Reesor Dock.
- Please check road conditions prior to your arrival - go to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park News or phone the Visitor Centre at 403-893-3833. Spruce coulee and Reesor Dock campgrounds may be inaccessible due to road closures.