What is Frozen Thunder
Frozen Thunder is an early season 2km long ski track allowing training on snow for High Performance Athletes as well as public skiing for Frozen Thunder/Fall Season Pass holders. The track is made of stored machine-made snow, to allow biathlon and cross-country skiers to start training in October. Snow made the previous winter is stored for the summer in a protected location covered in sawdust. In the fall the snow is spread onto the trail to create Frozen Thunder.
- October 18 – November 12, 2021
- Reserved Track times are Monday to Sunday 7:00 AM to 12:00 Noon.
- Anyone using Frozen Thunder during this time purchase (and wear) a bib and trail pass.
- Bibs can be purchased on Zone 4 starting October 13 at 10:00 AM. $100/all access, $30/day.
- No bib is required to ski Frozen Thunder after 12 PM each day. A trail pass is still required.
Zone 4 - Bib Purchase Trail Passes
*** Due to COVID 19 capacity restrictions, users are required to schedule a training time for the morning Reserved Track Time. This is done during the bib purchase. No registration required for public skiing from Noon – 5pm
Frozen Thunder is financed and operated through a partnership agreement between: Nordiq Canada, Biathlon Canada, Alberta World Cup Academy, Alberta Biathlon, Nordiq Alberta, and WinSport with support from the Canmore Nordic Centre.
Frozen Thunder Reserved Track Time
- Monday-Sunday 07:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Skiers must purchase and wear a Bib to use Frozen Thunder during reserved track time, as well as a Canmore Nordic Centre trail pass, which can be purchased at the day lodge or online. Anyone not wearing a bib or without a trail pass during reserved scheduled times will be asked to leave the Track even if they are a member of a funding partner.
Reserved time periods
- Have high performance athletes training at high speed and intensity.
- Slower skiers MUST yield to faster skiers so as not to interfere with or impede this training.
- November 1, 2, 4, 9 and 10 are scheduled for National Ski Team high performance events during the reserved Frozen Thunder track time. Only users invited or registered to participate in the events will have access to Frozen Thunder on those dates (to be confirmed)
Non-reserved Frozen Thunder
- Monday – Sunday from 12:00 PM – 11:00 PM.
- Users do not require a bib to ski during this time period. A Canmore Nordic Centre trail pass is required to ski between 12:00 – 5:00 PM.
- Use of Frozen Thunder after 5:00 PM is free. Please note that Frozen Thunder is not lit at night. If you wish to access the track after 5pm, don’t forget your headlamp.
Bibs and Scheduling Track Time
Cost for Bibs during the reserved Track times are:
- $100 for All Access (4+ days of skiing)
- $30 for Single Day access
- All bibs are purchased online through Zone 4 starting October 8, 2021 at 10:30 AM MST. No bibs will be sold in person.
- There is a $25 bib deposit fee. The deposit will be refunded upon return of the bib. Bib refunds will not be accommodated after Dec 22, 2021.
- During the bib purchase process, users will select a training time on Frozen Thunder.
- Scheduled daily time slots are:
- 07:00 – 8:30 AM
- 08:30 – 10:30 AM
- 10:30 -12:00 PM
- Once a time slot has reached capacity it will not be available for selection.
- Only one time slot can be booked per day.
- Bibs must be ordered by Noon the day prior to the pick up date so they can be properly packaged and prepared. Bibs to be picked up Saturday or Sunday must be purchased by Noon on the Friday.
- Bibs are picked up from and returned outside the Nordiq Canada office located at the Canmore Nordic Centre (100, 1995 Olympic Way).
- A schedule will be posted at the entrance of the Track listing the bib numbers of users schedule to use the Track at that time. Anyone on the Track with a bib number not on the schedule for that time period will be required to leave.
Users are required to schedule their training time on Frozen Thunder to ensure COVID-19 safe capacity standards are maintained. Anyone on the track outside of their scheduled time will be asked to leave.
All users are required to follow the COVID-19 protocols posted on the entrance to the Frozen Thunder track. Users who do not comply with the protocols will be asked to leave.
Users must be in good health and free of any COVID-19 symptoms unrelated to pre-existing health conditions (asthma, allergies).
Bibs will be sanitized and packaged according to COVID-10 Government protocols.
Nordiq Canada and Biathlon Canada offices are closed to the public. For this reason bibs will not be available for purchase onsite nor will users who forget their bib be able to access a temporary one.
Frozen Thunder Trail Information Map
More Information / Assistance
High Performance Coordinator