Alberta Parks

Professional Film and Photography Permit

Alberta’s parks are filled with unique landscapes and vistas, which provide excellent locations for a variety of filming and photography projects. Alberta Parks is excited to work with you to ensure that your filming or photography project can take place in ways that respect environmental integrity, as well as other park visitors.

Permits for Professional Filming & Still Photography

Permits are required for any filming and photography projects that have a commercial component or have special requirements that regular park visitors taking photos don't need. Permits are required for professional filming and photography activities that:

  • Require access to restricted areas
  • Require supervision by Alberta Parks staff
  • Have the potential to impact park resources in ways that are inconsistent with traditional use
  • May interfere with other visitors' enjoyment of the park
  • Require exclusive use of an area
  • Involve sets, props, models, etc.
  • Involve advertising a business
  • Include selling stock photography
  • Involve monetized social media posting across any social media platform
  • Some student filming or photography projects

If you are unsure about whether or not your project requires a permit, please contact the regional permitting office for the park or site you are interested in photographing or filming. See below for contact information.

Alberta Parks recommends that all potential permit applicants begin by contacting the appropriate regional office to discuss project specifics.

Once you have submitted an initial application, an Alberta Parks representative will contact you for project details.

Forestry and Parks reserve the right to reject any permit application that may not meet the standards required to film or take still photography in a provincial park or protected area.

Central Region  
North Region Grande Prairie
South Region Cypress Hills District
South Region Dinosaur District
Jenifer Blacklaws
403-378-4342 ext. 224
South Region Lethbridge District
South Region Pincher Creek District
Pincher Creek Office
South Region Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park
Kananaskis Region
Canmore Nordic Centre
Provincial Park
Special Events Permits
Fish Creek Provincial Park Weddings
Kananaskis Region Guiding/Instructing Permits
Alberta Environment & Parks
Parks Division, Kananaskis Region
Special Events & Permits Coordinator
Suite 201, 800 Railway Avenue
Canmore, Alberta T1W 1P1
Phone 403-678-5508 (Dial 0 for reception)
Fax 403-678-5505
Kananaskis Region

Special Events
Filming/Still Photography Permits
(includes Fish Creek & Glenbow Ranch Provincial Parks)

Alberta Environment & Parks
Parks Division, Kananaskis Region
Special Events & Permits Coordinator
2nd Floor, Provincial Building
Cochrane, Alberta T4C 1B4
Phone 403-851-2207
Fax 403-932-8104
  • Ministry costs above and beyond on-site supervision that are directly related to the support of filming or photography (e.g., providing resource information, assisting with editing of scripts or videos) may be charged to the permit holder as determined by the Ministry.
  • Rates applied will be based upon the hours and salaries of the staff involved.
  • All costs to be incurred by the Parks Division in support and monitoring of the project must be paid by the production company prior to the issuance of a Filming or Photography Permit.
  • If the estimated costs for fees are exceeded (e.g., project took longer than originally scheduled), the additional amounts owed to the Ministry must be paid in full within a reasonable time frame established by the Ministry Representative, following the conclusion of the project.

Note: The applicant must hold public liability insurance in the amount of $2,000,000 per occurrence.

  • A copy of the policy or certificate will be required to be posted with the Department if the application is approved.
  • A minimum Security Deposit in the amount of $1,000 may be required prior to the start of filming if deemed necessary by the Department.
  • The Security Deposit shall be in the form of a bank draft, certified cheque or money order payable to the Government of Alberta, Province of Alberta.

Once you are ready to submit an application, please select a park:

Updated: Jun 9, 2023