Bear Closure -
Opal Ridge near Fortress Junction
June 2, 2019
- Effective Date: June 2, 2019 until further notice
- Where: Opal ridge area including the entire opal ridge from 2.5km North of Fortress Junction along Hwy 40 to Grizzly creek in the south. The closure extends to the east including the east flank of Opal Ridge and the valley bottom east of Opal Ridge.
- Why: Female Grizzly Bear with 2 young of the year cubs.
Although an advisory is in place for this area, bears can be encountered anywhere in the Kananaskis Region at any time. To avoid a surprise encounter with a bear:
- Make plenty of noise and travel in groups.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look and listen for bears and their signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Carry bear spray. Make sure it’s easily accessible, and know how to use bear spray.
- Learn more about bear safety on our webpage or at WildSmart.
Please report all bear sightings immediately to 403-591-7755.
Map of Affected Area