- Shelters are allowed, depending on ice conditions, from December 2, 2022 to April 14, 2023. It is the Letter of Authority (LOA) holder’s responsibility to ensure the ice conditions are safe.
- Whirling Disease has been found in the Province of Alberta. Please take precautions to reduce the risk of spread. Anglers must ensure that all equipment is cleaned and dried between uses. Soil, mud and dirt mustbe removed and water drained from buckets, boats and other equipment. Visit alberta.ca/whirling-disease.aspx for more information. If you suspect you have caught an infected or diseased fish call 1-855-336-2628.
- Ice fishing shelters cannot be any larger than 2.5 meters (8 ft.) by 2.5 meters (8 ft.) and 2.5meters (8 ft.) inheight. Shelters must be constructed to allow manual moving. Shelters can only be erected between Driftwood Day Use Area southerly to an imaginary line connecting Mt. Buller ridge and Mt. Nestor ridge.
- Construction must be strong enough to withstand winter conditions while on the lake (i.e: extreme winds,flood ice and freezing into the ice).
- Shelters cannot be placed on or near the staked dog sled route. Do not use the staked dog sled route toaccess your shelter.
- The exterior of the shelter must be white in colour. Tarps and plastic-poly are not permitted.
- Shelters may be locked by owners to prevent public entry. Public access to the ice surface adjacent to a fishing shelter cannot be restricted by the LOA holder.
- The LOA holder’s name and phone number must be clearly marked, in weather resistant ink orpaint, on the outside of the shelter.
- Shelters must not be allowed to freeze into the ice. If flood ice conditions occur it is the LOA holder’sresponsibility to ensure their shelter is kept free and on solid ice.
- Using the shelter to camp overnight is prohibited. Consumption of liquor is prohibited.
- Wood fires are prohibited inside, or adjacent to your shelter. Fires are only allowed in metal culvert facilities provided within the Park. Propane or gas stoves are permitted with proper ventilation.
- All vehicles are prohibited from off-road travel in the park, including on the lake ice surface.
- Fishing shelters that are not removed by April 08, 2022 will be considered abandoned and seized. The LOA holder will be charged and held responsible for recovery costs.
- Off season storage of an ice fishing shelter is not allowed within the Park.
- Failure to abide by the LOA conditions and all applicable legislation may result in the cancellation of the LOA.
Anglers are reminded that stopping or parking a motor vehicle within a posted Avalanche Area along the Smith-Dorrien Highway is illegal under the Traffic Safety Act, Use of Highway Rules of the Road Regulations. Please ensure that vehicles used to access your fishing shelter are parked legally.
The Department of Alberta Environment and Parks / Alberta Parks reserves the right to limit the number of ice fishing shelters allowed on the lake.
Issued LOAs are valid for the current ice fishing season only and must be renewed annually. The LOA is non-transferable.
All questions concerning the Spray Lake Ice Fishing Shelter Letter of Authority and its’ conditions should be addressed to the Kananaskis District Conservation Officer Duty Phone 403-591-6309.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF ACCEPTANCE
I hereby agree to hold harmless the Minister from any and all third party claims, demands, actions, or costs (including legal costs on a solicitor-client basis) which arise directly or indirectly from the Letter of Authority holder’s operations whether related to the activities noted in this Letter of Authority or otherwise including those arising out of any omissions, negligence or willful acts by the Letter of Authority holder or the Letter of Authority holder’s employees or agents. This hold harmless shall survive this agreement.
I hereby agree to carry out this agreement in accordance with the terms and conditions outlined above. I further agree to comply with all applicable Federal and Provincial Acts and Regulations and to comply with any instructions given by the Minster or his representative.
I acknowledge that failure to meet the conditions of this Authorization may result in cancellation of this Authorization and immediate suspension of all activity.
I agree to repair, replace or reclaim, to the satisfaction of the Minister or his representative, any and all damages that might result from the performance of this Authorization within a reasonable period of time, as determined by the Minister or his representative, after completion of the activity/event.