Bear Warning - Bow Valley Watershed and surrounding Parks
- Effective Date: August 5, 2017 until further notice
- Where: Bow valley watershed from the Banff boundary to the 1x including Bow Valley Provincial Park, Canmore Nordic Center, and Bow Valley Wildland Park
- Why: Heightened bear activity due to another very good berry crop in the Bow, Spray and Kananaskis watersheds. Areas of particular concern are any locations with good shepherida (buffalo berry) yields which are typically found below treeline in “edge” areas or openings, highway corridors, trail side and campgrounds. Though bears are likely to be seen in any area they are particularly concentrated on the berries now and increased caution should be used.
Although an advisory is in place for this area, bears can be encountered anywhere in Kananaskis Country at any time. To avoid a surprise encounter with a bear:
- Make plenty of noise and travel in groups.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look and listen for bears and their signs.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Carry bear spray. Make sure it’s easily accessible, and know how to use bear spray (video).
- Learn more about bear safety on our webpage or at WildSmart.
Please report all bear sightings immediately to 403-591-7755.
Construction Closure - Cougar Creek Trailhead
Please note that Cougar Creek Trailhead will close indefinitely starting the week of May 1st, 2017 to begin reconstruction. Parking will be available along Benchlands Trail. Access to trails in the area will be maintained, however detours will be in place. Please obey all posted signage