Maintenance Service Workers 2 (MSW2s) oversee and perform routine and preventative maintenance and custodial duties within Provincial Parks and Provincial Recreation Areas. Their role in campgrounds is to provide direct supervision to maintenance workers, creating a clean and safe environment for visitors and staff. MSW2s organize and coordinate staff to perform cleaning duties on bathrooms, shower houses, campsites, garbages, and publicly used indoor and outdoor spaces, along with completing minor repairs of sites, trails, and facilities.
The majority of work for this position is completed outdoors and requires daily handling of chemicals, hand and power tools, and utility terrain vehicles (UTVs). This job can be physically demanding and requires basic understanding of computer operations for administrative tasks such as time entry and approval.
This position is being hired at the following locations in eastern Alberta and duties will vary based on location:
Cooking Lake Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area – Day use areas only
Miquelon Lake Provincial Park – Campground and day use areas
Dillberry Lake Provincial Park – Campground and day use areas
||Maintenance Service Worker Lead Hands
Maintenance Service Worker 2
(Up to 40 hours/week hours/week)
|Rate of Pay:
$22.75 – $27.58/hr
(Plus 11.2% in lieu of benefits and holidays)
||March 7, 2021
Supervision & Leadership
- Ensure staff are trained and competent in daily tasks
- Provide on-site support and coordination of daily tasks
- Act as a key contact between program areas in the park by meeting regularly with other program leads as needed.
- Empower staff to be independent in their roles by setting clear expectations and processes
- Provide constructive feedback to staff to improve performance or procedures
- Coordinate day-to-day tasks of the team and ensure daily procedures are followed
Cleaning & Custodial Duties
- Clean and sanitize high touch-point areas, such as sinks, door handles, toilets, etc.
- Empty and change indoor and outdoor waste and recycle containers in campgrounds and/or day use areas
- Replace personal hygiene products used by visitors, such as hand sanitizer, toilet paper, soap, etc.
- Practice safe work procedures and WHMIS when using cleaning chemicals
- Ensure facilities are cleaned and maintained to Alberta Parks’ standards
Landscaping & Facility Maintenance
- Operate power and hand tools to complete repairs and preventative maintenance tasks
- Operate equipment such as UTVs and riding lawnmowers
- Groom park green areas and trail systems with lawnmowers, trimmers, etc.
- Paint structures as needed
- Support tree removal as needed
- Support drainage work as needed
- Install signage as needed
- Identify and address potential public or employee safety issues while in the parks
Administrative & Customer Service
- Keep a clean & organized workspace at all times, with relevant resources stocked and ready to use
- Ensure staff adhere to all pertinent policies, procedures, and protocols, including OHS, campground regulations, and GOA directives
- Lead and participate in emergency protocols to provide support to visitors and staff in an emergency situation
- Train and support staff to use online systems for time entry and ensure work hours are entered prior to deadlines
- Respond to in-person requests for information on area amenities and park conditions, as needed
- Work closely with Visitor Experience staff to ensure needs of the campground visitors and staff are met
- Some high school education and 1 year of related experience
- Strong supervisory, communication, organization and teamwork skills
- Ability to take on and complete new and challenging assignments within set deadlines
- One year of related experience in custodial, landscaping, or similar position
- Previous supervisory experience
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Demonstrated ability to perform demanding physical tasks, outdoors and in a variety of weather conditions
- English language proficiency
- Ability to quickly learn and operate a variety of tools and equipment
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook)
- Alignment with the required behavioural competencies or the role (see below)
- Ability to handle demanding environments and deadlines
- Effective time management
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Independent problem solving and adaptability
- Desire to be proactive, reliable, and demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive and inclusive attitude
- Familiarity with the campground operations and/or the area surrounding your choice of park(s)
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans.
We encourage you to have an in-depth understanding of the competencies that are required for
this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
- Agility: Staff must be agile in order to anticipate and quickly adapt to changing priorities and situations to effectively meet diverse visitor needs. To think creatively while working in a changing work environment.
- Build Collaborative Environments: By promoting collaboration and commitment, encourage broad thinking on projects, work together to eliminate barriers to progress, and facilitate open and respectful dialogue.
- Creative Problem Solving and Judgement: Occasionally challenges arise and staff must assess options, understand implications and determine appropriate actions to achieve the necessary solutions. Will be using a wide range of communication techniques to promptly and professionally address issues.
Terms of Employment
- Fulfill seasonal contract (anticipated late April – September/October)
- Weekend work will be required. A premium is paid for these shifts
- Hours of employment are up to 40 hours per week, with shifts scheduled up to 8 hours
- Access to reliable transportation to and from place of work
- Final Candidates may be required to provide a Criminal Records Check (will be reimbursed).
- Recognized Current Standard First Aid and CPR Level "C"/AED Certificate
- Adherence to Alberta Parks Uniform Policy
- These positions may require some outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions
- Training sessions at the beginning of employment are mandatory (mid April-early May)
- Interviews are expected to take place in early March
- Those selected for an interview must bring three work related references to the interview
- Training will be provided to successful candidates
- This position may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
- The Ministry of Environment and Parks supports Albertans in being proud stewards of air, land, water and biodiversity by leading the work required for the desired environmental outcomes and sustainable development of natural resources
How to Apply
1) Create a candidate profile and upload your resume and cover letter. For guidance on creating an account, visit: https://www.alberta.ca/navigating-online-jobs-application.aspx
2) If you are interested in many positions, you must apply on each position separately (lead, non-lead)
3) Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
4) Applicants will be able to track the status of this competition.
Information regarding Alberta Public Service Jobs: https://alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-jobs.aspx
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Parks Division, Central Region
Alberta Environment & Parks
E-mail: AEPParks.Jobsemail@example.com (put MS2 in subject line)
If you require any further information on this job posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put MSW2 in the subject line. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check https://alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-jobs.aspx for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.