Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
In Alberta’s provincial parks, the take-off and landing of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or drones is prohibited except for certain circumstances. Alberta Parks will only approve UAV use which is compliant with Transport Canada regulations.
Recreational Use of UAVs in Alberta Parks
The recreational use of a UAV is not allowed in sites in the provincial parks system.
Commercial Use of UAVs in Alberta Parks
An individual or organization must apply for the relevant Alberta Parks permit if they wish to use a UAV within the provincial parks system. Currently UAV use in Alberta Parks is ONLY acceptable for the following purposes
An applicant has several requirements to meet, outlined below.
- The user has a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) or UAV exemption issued by Transport Canada AND/OR the user must outline how they will satisfy the conditions for an SFOC outlined by Transport Canada.
- The user must provide contact information, UAV model/serial, description of operation, geographic boundaries of operation, and UAV system limitations. It is recommended that the user submit a map.
- The user must provide proof of liability insurance in an amount advised by Alberta Parks.
- The user must provide a detailed safety and emergency plan including how the UAV will be retrieved in the event of a crash.
- The UAV must be clearly identifiable and externally labeled with contact information. A picture must be provided with the application.
- The user must provide written permissions from other agencies, private land owners or businesses that may be impacted by the use of the UAV.
- The user must provide in writing how they will satisfy public privacy requirements under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Personal Information Protection Act, and Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
- User must provide a statement about how they will ensure wildlife is not compromised by UAV use.
More information about Transport Canada’s UAV requirements can be found at Drone Safety.