- Submit your application at least 30 days in advance of the proposed start date for the research or collection activity.
- Submit your research and collection permit application online.
- If your project involves social science and working with human subjects in Alberta Parks, you are required to provide information to satisfy ethics requirements.
- Interdepartmental review and approval is often required for proposals involving natural areas, ecological reserves, wilderness areas and heritage rangelands. This extends the time required to prepare and issue a permit. A proposal like this must be submitted well in advance of proposed start of the project.
- Permits or approvals may also be required from other agencies and organizations to conduct research or engage in collection activities. Obtaining a research and collection permit from Parks Division may be contingent upon having permits or approvals in place related to
Note: Effective June 24, 2017, applications for Wildlife Research and Collection Licences and Parks Research and Collection Permits are submitted using a joint application process in the Online Permitting and Clearance (OPaC) system.
- Additional permits related to site access may also be necessary. The type of access required must be identified in the Research and Collection Permit application for Parks Division.
- Aircraft landing and firearms permits may also be required. It may be necessary to follow-up with the regional or district office.
The following information is required for a permit application
- Applicant's name and contact information
- Project members' names and contact information
- Commencement and termination of field operations
- Description of project, methodology and details surrounding specimen collection and location of specimen placement
- Details regarding where researchers will stay while in a park
- Name of person who will supervise field operations in the applicant's absence
- Description of vehicles used for research project, including off-highway vehicles
- Anticipated written products of the project
Research and collection permits are issued on a calendar year basis only. For a multi-year project, a permit renewal is required for each year of the project. The permit renewal application must be submitted between January 1 and November 30 each year of the project.
During a research project, researchers may be able to stay in a campground or other park accommodation. Approval must be provided by the appropriate park staff.
Alberta Environment & Parks and Alberta Culture & Tourism are partners in the Online Permitting and Clearance (OPaC) system. Please refer to the OPaC User Guide for assistance.
OPaC has separate portals for applications for
- Parks-related research
- Historical Resources Act clearances for small-scale oil and gas developments and for archaeological permits
Alberta Culture & Tourism has more information on applying for Historical Resources Act clearances. Fish and Wildlife Division of Alberta Environment & Parks has more information on applying for a Wildlife Research and Collection Licence.
Online Permitting and Clearance is the sole means of applying for a research and collection permit on any lands under the administration of Parks Division to
- Apply for a research and collection permit
- Apply for an amendment or renewal of a research and collection permit
- Submit progress and final reports related to a research and collection permit
Online Permitting and Clearance features include
- A one-time registration providing users with individual password-protected accounts to complete, submit and track the progress of their research applications
- Communication by e-mail, notifying users when applications have been received, requesting changes if necessary and sending back approved applications and any other required documents
- General conditions apply to all permits.
- Special conditions may also apply to issued permits. These outline unique or special circumstances related to the research activities and/or the site of the project.
- Permit holders must comply with all conditions relating to their permit.