Alberta Parks Home

Filming & Still Photography

Alberta's parks provide excellent locations for filming and photography. There are guidelines and conditions to ensure that these activities respect environmental integrity.

Permits for Filming & Still Photography

Permits are required for filming and photography projects with special requirements that regular park visitors taking photos don't need. Permits are required for filming and photography activities that

Permit Exceptions

Filming and photography activities that require permits are not usually allowed in wilderness areas and ecological reserves. An exception can be made if the activities are consistent with the site's management plan.

Permit Exceptions

A permit is not required for news media filming and photography related to reporting news events.

Applying for a Filming & Photography Permit

Application Requirements

Applications must:

Liability Insurance

The applicant must hold public liability insurance to a minimum level of $2,000,000 per occurrence. Proof is either:

Security Deposit

A minium security deposit of $1,000 for site clean-up and restoration may be required. If long-term reclamation may be required, a letter of credit or letter of guarantee is necessary. This can be drawn on if reclamation is not completed to the satisfaction of the department.


Written approval must be received before activities commence.

An application must be submitted:

For More Information or to submit an application contact the Parks Division staff responsible for the park where the filming or photography is to take place.

Filming & Photography Permit Fees 

Other Guidelines & Conditions

The permit holder must appoint a location manager or designate an alternate. This person will be responsible for all activities and be on-site at all times during filming/photography.

Filming and photography are not normally permitted on weekends and statutory holidays. If the activity is permitted, it may be subject to additional restrictions to mitigate impacts on public use of the area or facility.

Prior written approval is required:

Alberta Tourism, Parks & Recreation reserves the right to:

These guidelines and conditions do not override the requirement to comply with the Provincial Parks Act and regulations, or other applicable provincial or federal legislation.

Parks Division Contacts

Use the contacts below for permits for:

To be connected toll-free in Alberta, dial 310-0000 followed by the phone number. From a cell phone, dial the toll-free code (*310 for Roger's Wireless or #310 for Bell & Telus) followed by the phone number.

Central Region David Thompson Management Area
Red Deer District
Central Region David Thompson Management Area
Rocky Mountain House District
Central Region Parkland Management Area
Camrose District
Central Region Parkland Management Area
Wainwright District
Central Region
Yellowhead Management Area
Spruce Grove District
Central Region
Yellowhead Management Area
Hinton District
Northeast Region Lac La Biche
Northwest Region Grande Prairie
South Region Cypress Hills District
South Region Dinosaur District
South Region Lethbridge District
South Region Pincher Creek District
South Region Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park
Kananaskis Region
Canmore Nordic Centre
Provincial Park
Special Events Permits
Fish Creek Provincial Park Weddings
Kananaskis Region Guiding/Instructing Permits
Kananaskis Region Special Events
Weddings & Filming/Still Photography Permits
(includes Fish Creek & Glenbow Ranch Provincial Parks)

Updated: Jul 30, 2018