The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx.
Provincial Parks are essential to the quality of life that Albertans enjoy. They conserve our natural landscapes and wildlife habitat, and offer a broad range of nature-based outdoor recreational opportunities. Alberta’s parks inspire people to discover, value, protect, and enjoy the natural world and the benefits it provides for current and future generations.
For more information on Park locations visit: https://albertaparks.ca/.
Dinosaur Provincial Park UNESCO World Heritage Site is rich in cultural and natural heritage. The provincial park protects the unique badlands landscape and the Red Deer River that meanders through the Park. As one of Alberta’s premiere park attractions, Dinosaur Provincial Park is treasured and enjoyed every year by many visitors of all ages and from all over the world.
||Service Centre Cook
|Rate of Pay:
$22.58 - $27.27
(Plus 11.2% in lieu of benefits and holidays)
||May 1, 2023
he Dinosaur Park Service Centre is located in Dinosaur Provincial Park in southern Alberta. This facility is a main stopping place for Dinosaur Provincial Park visitors and is often their first experience upon entering the Park. It is here that you find the Campground Office and Information Services, Convenience Store, and Cretaceous Café – all under one roof.
Do you have restaurant or catering experience?
We are looking for a responsible and experienced Service Centre Cook that brings kitchen operational and cooking skills to work alongside the staff of the Dinosaur Service Centre/Cretaceous Cafe. Come join our team for a unique summer seasonal experience.
There are three key aspects in this role with a focus on kitchen operations:
- Ensure the safe delivery of high quality food service by complying with food safe handling, preparation and storage procedures and adhering to those practices of Alberta Health Services and Environmental Public Health Standards
- Manage all aspects of the safe and high quality food preparation and delivery, including assisting with setting the menu, determining pricing, ordering and maintaining food supplies and inventory as required
- Develop and cook / prepare menu items as well as train and oversee kitchen staff to ensure safe and high quality food preparation
- Meet with the Public Health Inspector; adhere to processes and implement any recommendations
Customer Service Relations:
- Provide excellent front-line customer service to Park visitors and guests
- Liaise with staff to ensure operational guidelines according to Occupational Health and Safety standards are being met.
- Monitor facility operations and conduct inspections as needed or requested to ensure safety standards are being met in the kitchen and all regulations are being followed as established by Alberta Health Services
Training and Administrative:
- Assist with training the Dinosaur Service Centre Attendants in the safe operation of all kitchen equipment and ensure they are capable of safely preparing high quality food as requested by guests
- Assist with creating and preparing menus and information posters or flyers (or other forms of advertisement) as required
- Assist with inventory management and placing orders with respect to food preparation and kitchen operations
- Journeyman (M/F) level cook certification and 2 years related experience
- Equivalences may include:
- Some high school education and 6 years related cooking experience in a restaurant, institution, camp operation, catering operations
- Certificate in Cooking and 5 years related experience
- Diploma in Cooking and 4 years related experience
- Current Food Safety Certificate
- Experience in customer service roles and managing customer service issues
- Solid knowledge of safe and quality food preparation and providing public food services
- Experience in cooking high quality food using a grill, fryers, stove, oven, smoker, etc.
- Experience in baking a variety of products (pies, muffins, desserts, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook) and preference for Microsoft Publisher and PowerPoint
- Defensive Driving course and Driver’s abstract with less than 8 demerits (less than 4 for GDL) is required upon commencement
- WHMIS Certification
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and occasionally lift heavy objects
- Recognized Current Standard First Aid and CPR Level "C"/AED Certificate is required upon commencement
- Experience in being a part of successful team atmosphere and contributing to a positive work environment
- Equivalencies will be considered
- Retail and/or cash-handling experience dealing with Point Of Sales Systems and revenue workbooks experience
- Experience with Reserve.AlbertaParks.ca
- Knowledge of Dinosaur Provincial Park and the local area including tourism opportunities and available area services
- Experience training staff in kitchen operations and cooking
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans.
We encourage you to have an in-depth understanding of the competencies that are required for
this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
- Agility: Staff must be agile in order to anticipate and quickly adapt to changing priorities and situations to effectively meet diverse visitor needs and be able to think creatively while working in a changing work environment.
- Build Collaborative Environments: By promoting collaboration and commitment, encourage broad thinking on projects, you will foster a positive work environment for staff to work together to eliminate barriers to progress, and facilitate open and respectful dialogue.
- Creative Problem Solving and Judgement: Occasionally challenges arise and staff must assess options, understand implications and determine appropriate actions to achieve the necessary solutions. You will use a wide range of communication techniques to promptly and professionally address issues.
- Develop Self and Others: By actively learning about the needs of park visitors, reflecting on public interactions to identify areas of improvement and creating a shared learning environment to lead the delivery of top level customer service, you will be able to training and insight to new staff.
- Drive for Results: This position requires staff to have the ability to champion innovation and display high standards in programs, initiatives and services.
- Systems Thinking: This position is one component of a larger work environment that includes other program areas so it is important to understand how the position contributes to achieving broader Alberta Environment & Parks goals.
Posting open until suitable candidate found
Shift premiums for evenings and weekend include:
- $3.25 per hour for weekends and holidays
- $2.75 per hour for evenings
- Fulfill seasonal contract to start in early April, May, June until September or October, dependent on operational needs
- Based on a work week of up to 40 hours per week, working 7.25 hours per day
- Evening and weekend work will be required; premium is paid for these shifts
- Adherence to Alberta Parks Uniform Policy
- Shared rental accommodation may be available
- Training sessions at the beginning of employment are mandatory
- Those selected for an interview will need to supply three references, preferably work related
In your resume:
- Include date ranges (month and year) associated with all education and work experience
- Indicate whether your work experience was casual, part-time (PT) or full-time (FT)
- Example: Legal Assistant: Jan 2016 – June 2019 (PT 3 eight hour shifts per week)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, and/or require a disability related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact Dianna Sidon at Dianna.Sidon@gov.ab.ca.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.
How to Apply
Candidates are required to apply for a job online. Please visit https://www.alberta.ca/navigating-online-jobs-application.aspx to learn more about creating a candidate profile and other tips for the Government of Alberta’s online application system.
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system, click here to access the main log in page where you are able to ‘Create an account’, reset your password (‘Forgot your password’) or ‘Sign In’ should you already have an account.
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-jobs.aspx
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) https://www.alberta.ca/iqas-overview.aspx. Applicants are encouraged to include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.