Backcountry Huts - Tom Trott & Medicine Lodge
Experience the beautiful setting of Cypress Hills Provincial Park year-round in the comfort of a backcountry hut. Try an alternative to tent or trailer camping with the 6-person Spruce Coulee Hut, the 8-person Tom Trott Hut or the 10-person Medicine Lodge Hut. These huts offer basic amenities and are located close to viewpoints, trails and the Elkwater townsite. During summer/ fall, the huts can be accessed by vehicle. In spring/winter, access is by ski or snow shoe only.
Rates & Season
Medicine Lake Lodge Hut
- Rate: $100/night
- Maximum Capacity: 10 people
- Season: Year-round
Tom Trott Hut
- Rate: $80/night
- Maximum Capacity: 8 people
- Season: Year-round
- Phone: 403-893-3833
- Register at the Visitor Centre.
- If you'll be arriving late, call the Visitor Centre (403-893-3833) to make arrangements to access the hut.
- Insulated, hard-walled backcountry huts with basic amenities
- Priarie/Montane setting surrounded by lodgepole and white spruce forests
- Close to viewpoints and trails
- Located close to the Spring Creek Cross-Country Ski Trail System which provides up to 10 kilometres of groomed trails for classic and skate skiing
- Dormitory-style sleeping units - single over single bunk beds with vinyl mattresses and double futon(s)
- Wood stove
- Axes and shovel
- Sink, 5 gallon pail
- Pots, pans, plates, bowls, cups and utensils
- Dish soap, washcloths, tea towels, drying rack
- Dining table & chairs
- Close to toilets
What to Bring
- Cooking stove and fuel
- Food & water
- Bedding/sleeping bag
- Towels & toiletries
- Matches & newspaper for lighting wood stove
- Flashlights and/or lanterns
- Appropriate clothing and footwear
- Cell phone
- Drinking water is not provided.
- Grey water (e.g. dish water) must be disposed of in the pit toilet.
- Please pack out garbage and dispose it in receptacles provided elsewhere in the park.
- Summer/Fall: Accessible by vehicle
- Winter/Spring: Accessible by ski or snowshoe only
- From: trailhead for Spring Creek Cross-Country Ski Trail System
- Skiing distance: 5 kms
- Elevation gain: 0 m
- Approximate time: 2 hours
- From: Visitor Centre in Elkwater townsite
- Skiing distance: 5-6 kms
- Elevation gain: 200 m
- Approximate time: 2-3 hours
- Bookings can be made up to one year in advance.
- Pay and check-in/check-out at Visitor Centre.
- Check-in time is 2:00 p.m. Check-out time is 12:00 noon.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations must be made no less than 48 hours prior to check-in time. Cancellations may only be done by calling 403-893-3833.
- Pets are not allowed in or around the buildings (with the exception of service dogs).
- Smoking is strictly prohibited inside the buildings.
Any maps and map views are for general information only and any boundaries and
features superimposed on the maps and map views may not accurately represent
legal boundaries. Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.