Backcountry Hut - Spruce Coulee
Lat: 49.679387 Long: -110.183586 | Directions
Experience the beautiful setting of Cypress Hills Provincial Park year-round in the comfort of a backcountry hut. Try an alternative to tent or trailer camping with the 6-person Spruce Coulee Hut, the 6-person Tom Trott Hut or the 6-person Medicine Lodge Hut. These huts offer basic amenities and are located close to viewpoints, trails and the Elkwater townsite. During summer/ fall, the huts can be accessed by vehicle. In spring/winter, access is by ski or snow shoe only.
Rates & Season
- Rate: $80/night
- Maximum Capacity: 6 people
- Season: Year-round
- Phone: 403-893-3833
- Register at the Visitor Centre.
- If you'll be arriving late, call the Visitor Centre (403-893-3833) to make arrangements to access the hut.
- Insulated, hard-walled backcountry huts with basic amenities
- Priarie/Montane setting surrounded by lodgepole and white spruce forests
- Close to viewpoints and trails
- Located on a reservoir stocked with Arctic grayling and brook trout
- Dormitory-style sleeping units - single over double bunk beds with vinyl mattresses
- Wood stove
- Axes and shovel
- Sink, 5 gallon pail
- Pots, pans, plates, bowls, cups and utensils
- Dish soap, washcloths, tea towels, drying rack
- Dining table & chairs
- Close to toilets
What to Bring
- Cooking stove and fuel
- Food & water
- Bedding/sleeping bag
- Towels & toiletries
- Matches & newspaper for lighting wood stove
- Flashlights and/or lanterns
- Appropriate clothing and footwear
- Cell phone
- Drinking water is not provided.
- Grey water (e.g. dish water) must be disposed of in the pit toilet.
- Please pack out garbage and dispose it in receptacles provided elsewhere in the park.
- Summer/Fall: Accessible by vehicle
- Winter/Spring: Accessible by ski or snowshoe only
- From: trailhead for Spruce Coulee Trail
- Skiing distance: 9 kms
- Elevation gain: 126 m
- Approximate time: 3-3.5 hours
- From: Reesor Viewpoint on the Trans Canada Trail
- Skiing distance: 4.5 kms
- Elevation gain: 0 m
- Approximate time: 2 hours
- Bookings can be made up to one year in advance.
- Pay and check-in/check-out at Visitor Centre.
- Check-in time is 2:00 p.m. Check-out time is 12:00 noon.
- Cancellation policy: Cancellations must be made no less than 48 hours prior to check-in time. Cancellations may only be done by calling 403-893-3833.
- Pets are not allowed in or around the buildings (with the exception of service dogs).
- Smoking is strictly prohibited inside the buildings.
Any maps and map views are for general information only.
Do not rely on them for navigation or to determine legal boundaries.