Are you friendly, outgoing and hospitable? A camping enthusiast? Do you have a keen interest in conserving nature and general knowledge about Alberta's parks?
Become a host at one of our campgrounds or other facilities. Help park visitors relax, experience the great outdoors and learn about Alberta's natural heritage.
Types of Hosting
- Campground hosts provide hosting services in a provincial campground.
- Facility hosts provide hosting services in day use areas and visitor information centres.
- Greet visitors and provide them with information
- Volunteer a minimum of
- 5 hours per day
- 5 days per week (including weekends)
- 4 continuous weeks
- Provide your own self-contained camping unit (motorhome, towable trailer, truck camper)
Each site and volunteer placement is unique so duties vary. Generally, hosts:
- welcome visitors
- assist with public education and interpretation
- provide information about
- facilities, services, activities, rules and regulations
- things to see and do in the surrounding area
- assist visitors obtain help in emergency situations
- inform authorities about observed infractions or public safety concerns
Visitors benefit from hosts via:
- a friendly welcome
- someone to talk to about registration, facilities and services
- a richer camping experience through discovering places to go, attractions to see and special events to participate in
- an increased sense of security
- a sense of community
- a lasting, positive impression
To support our hosts, we provide
- supervision, training and orientation
- introductions to other team members, including staff, volunteers and contractors
- a site tour to familiarize hosts with services, facilities and equipment
- general information on duties, the work site and the surrounding area
- information about rules, emergency procedures and emergency contacts
- publications to hand out to visitors
- a free campsite assigned by park staff, easily accessible to visitors, with any utilities available
- identification items
- an opportunity to attend the host workshop held each spring
- Partners in Preservation newsletter
- Applications for 2017 season will open up February 1st.
- No applications will be received/process before February 1st.
- lease note the application window will only be for three weeks, from February 1st to February 22nd
For more information, please contact
Alberta Environment and Parks
Parks Division, Volunteer Services
2nd Floor, Oxbridge Place
9820 - 106 Street
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5K 2J6
Phone 780-427-3582 or 1-866-427-3582
E-mail Parks Volunteer