Are you friendly, outgoing and hospitable? A camping enthusiast? Do you have a keen interest in conserving nature and general knowledge about Alberta's parks?
Become a host at one of our campgrounds or other facilities. Help park visitors relax, experience the great outdoors and learn about Alberta's natural heritage.
Types of Hosting
- Campground hosts provide hosting services in a provincial campground.
- Facility hosts provide hosting services in day use areas and visitor information centres.
- Greet visitors and provide them with information
- Volunteer a minimum of
- 5 hours per day
- 5 days per week (including weekends)
- 4 continuous weeks
- Provide your own self-contained camping unit (motorhome, towable trailer, truck camper)
Each site and volunteer placement is unique so duties vary. Generally, hosts:
- welcome visitors
- assist with public education and interpretation
- provide information about
- facilities, services, activities, rules and regulations
- things to see and do in the surrounding area
- assist visitors obtain help in emergency situations
- inform authorities about observed infractions or public safety concerns
Visitors benefit from hosts via:
- a friendly welcome
- someone to talk to about registration, facilities and services
- a richer camping experience through discovering places to go, attractions to see and special events to participate in
- an increased sense of security
- a sense of community
- a lasting, positive impression
To support our hosts, we provide
- supervision, training and orientation
- introductions to other team members, including staff, volunteers and contractors
- a site tour to familiarize hosts with services, facilities and equipment
- general information on duties, the work site and the surrounding area
- information about rules, emergency procedures and emergency contacts
- publications to hand out to visitors
- a free campsite assigned by park staff, easily accessible to visitors, with any utilities available
- identification items
- an opportunity to attend the host workshop held each spring
- Partners in Preservation newsletter
- Submit an application
- Sites with hosting opportunities change each season.
- Applications are accepted year-round. However, placements are only made January through June.
For more information, please contact
Alberta Tourism, Parks & Recreation
Parks Division, Volunteer Services
2nd Floor, Oxbridge Place
9820 - 106 Street
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5K 2J6
Phone 780-427-3582 or 1-866-427-3582
E-mail Parks Volunteer